What is Regulated Medical Waste (RMW)?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:35 am

Any waste perceived to contain materials that may be infectious to humans. Human materials such as: Blood, Body fluids, Tissues, Organs, Body parts. Items contaminated with human materials. Discarded materials such as cultures, stocks, specimens, or vaccines. Discarded infectious agents. Sharps (including needles, syringes, etc.) Animal materials intentionally infected with pathogens or potentially infectious human […]

How do I dispose of infectious waste or regulated medical waste?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:34 am

Any waste that has come in contact with potentially-infectious materials should be placed in a red bag with the biohazard symbol. Regulated medical waste should be autoclaved. If the waste cannot be autoclaved (e.g., mixed with a chemical, is an animal carcass, or is from a clinical space), it should be placed in a burn […]

What do I do if I need to receive the Hepatitis B vaccine?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:33 am

The Hepatitis B vaccine is offered at no cost to employees determined to be at risk for occupational exposure to human blood, blood products, tissues, cells or other potentially infectious material. The vaccination series must be started within ten working days of initial assignment to a position involving potential exposure. To obtain the Hepatitis B […]

How do I dispose of biological waste that is not Regulated Medical Waste (RMW)?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:32 am, Last Updated: April 3, 2020 at 9:33 am

Biological waste that is non-infectious should be autoclaved. If the waste cannot be autoclaved (e.g., mixed with a chemical or is an animal carcass), it should be placed in a burn box for incineration offsite. Autoclave Place waste in a clear autoclave bag Run the autoclave cycle. Fill in the logbook with date, time, your […]

Can I transport biological materials in my personal vehicle?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:31 am

The transport of biological materials may be regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT). If you would like to transport any biological material, please contact EHS to ensure that your transport complies with DOT regulation.

What is the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and how does it affect me?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:30 am, Last Updated: April 8, 2020 at 10:52 am

The IBC: Provides oversight of recombinant DNA research. Ensures research is in compliance with NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules (NIH Guidelines). Reviews and approves all research subject to the NIH Guidelines. Also reviews all projects that involve: Biological materials Infectious materials Other potentially infectious materials Biologically-derived toxins In order to conduct work […]

How often does the chemical fume hood in my laboratory need to be tested?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:29 am

All chemical fume hoods must be tested annually. At the time of testing, a label is placed on the chemical fume hood indicating the day in which it was last tested as well as the date in which testing is required. Contact EHS if your chemical fume hood is in need of testing.

Can I use my chemical fume hood that is not operating properly?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:28 am

No, as laboratory personnel who use a chemical fume hood that operates outside the range of 80 to 120 fpm at a sash height of 18 inches (marked by maximum sash height sticker) may be exposed to harmful chemical vapors. Contact EHS and do not use the chemical fume hood until it has been repaired.

How often is the emergency shower and the eyewash in my laboratory tested?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:28 am

EHS tests showers and eyewashes every six months in laboratory areas to certify that water pressure and flow rate are within acceptable parameters. In addition, departments are required to flush safety showers and eyewashes every two weeks to ensure that there is a flushing fluid supply at the head of the device and to clear […]

What containers are appropriate for hazardous waste and where do I get these containers?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:27 am

All hazardous waste containers must be compatible with the materials they are intended to store, must have a cap or lid that is able to be tightly sealed, and must be labeled with the complete chemical name and the words “Hazardous Waste.” Do not use food containers, pharmaceutical containers, flasks, bins, or other open top […]