How do I dispose of hazardous chemical waste?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:26 am, Last Updated: November 30, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Select a waste container that has a tight fitting screw cap or lid, and is compatible with the waste it will contain. If you do not have the correct waste container, contact EHS for assistance. Label the container with  the complete chemical name of the waste.  Do not use abbreviations, trade names, chemical formulas, or chemical […]

How do you become a Supervised User of radiation if you are a graduate student, undergraduate student, or volunteer?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:25 am

With the help of the Approved User who will be supervising your work, complete a Radiation User Authorization Form as well as a Personal Monitoring Services Form and send the completed form as an email attachment to In order to become a supervised user, the following requirements must be met: 8-hours of initial Radiation Safety […]

How do you become an Approved User of radiation if you are a Principal Investigator, Laboratory Supervisor, or Course Instructor?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:24 am

Submit a completed Radiation Registration form along with a Radiation User Authorization Form to The Radiation Registration form should outline the proposed work with radiation and safety and security procedures that will be utilized in the laboratory. Your registration will be reviewed by the Radiation Safety Officer as well as the Radiation Safety Committee (RSC). […]

Does EHS have a survey meter that I can borrow?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:23 am

Yes, survey meters are available to Approved Users. Approved Users may request a survey meter and arrange to pick one up by contacting EHS. Approved users may also choose to use their own survey meters. Any meter that is used as part of compliance with the radiation safety program must be calibrated annually. EHS can coordinate the […]

Do I need a radiation badge?

Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:22 am

The Radiation Safety Officer issues dosimetry badges to personnel based depending on the work being performed and the materials being used. Complete a Personal Monitoring Services Form and attach to an email sent to

How do I ship hazardous materials? Do the regulations apply to very small quantities?

Posted: April 2, 2020 at 1:28 pm

The Department of Transportation (DOT) regulates shipping of all hazardous materials, even small quantities. The regulations are quite complex, and require training and certification in order to ship hazardous materials. EHS staff coordinate and ship hazardous materials for university activities. Please contact EHS at least two business days in advance to coordinate hazardous materials or […]