May I use a space heater, i.e., portable heater?

Posted: April 2, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Under desk electrical heaters are not recommended but may be used if the following criteria are met: Approved by Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) (this will appear on the manufacture’s label); Equipped with an intrinsic tip-over protection feature that automatically shuts off the heater if it is accidentally knocked over; All combustible materials (i.e., paper, cloth, cardboard) […]

May I use a grill or open flame cooking device on campus?

Posted: April 2, 2020 at 2:14 pm

Outdoor grills and open flame cooking devices may be used on campus if the following guidelines are followed: Compressed gas (propane) grills are not permitted to be used on campus. Cooking devices must be placed at least 20 feet from all buildings, tents, or other structures. Cannot be used near air intake vents on buildings. […]

Are halogen lamps allowed to be used?

Posted: April 2, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Halogen lamps are not permitted to be used on campus due to their inherent fire hazard.

What is a UL listing and why is it important?

Posted: April 2, 2020 at 2:12 pm

“UL” is an abbreviation for Underwriters Laboratory; an international corporation that tests appliances and devices to ensure that they meet minimum safety and design standards. There are other corporations that test appliances and devices (e.g., ETL) however their standards are lower than UL’s. George Mason University only allows appliances that are approved by UL and […]