Does the university still have Floor Wardens?

The university does not have a Floor Warden program.  Instead, all university employees are instructed to exit buildings upon notification of a fire or other emergency.  Fire alarms or instructions provided by emergency response personnel must be observed and all employees are asked to assist in notifying and encouraging others to evacuate buildings during an emergency if safety permits.  For more information about building evacuation procedures please see the Emergency Evacuation Guide available at prepared.

What emergency plans does the university have in place?

George Mason University maintains an all-hazards Emergency Operations Plan and Continuity of Operations Plan in accordance with state requirements. Mason’s Emergency Operations Plan defines the structure and general procedures that should be followed in an emergency. This plan is supported by Emergency Support Functions that help direct function-specific (i.e., communications, transportation, mass care, etc.) response activities. Hazard-specific plans have been developed to respond to unique emergency events and are integrated into the Emergency Operations Plan. Due to the sensitive nature of the information contained within emergency plans, the university does not make them available to the public. If you have specific questions or concerns about emergency preparedness and response procedures at George Mason University please contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office at (703) 993-8448 or

How do I develop an emergency plan for my work area/classroom?

Emergency Preparedness Guides provide specific information about how to prepare for an emergency and what you should do during an emergency. Visit and select the be Prepared tab to access the guides and compile them for your location.  EHS can assist you in completing and compiling these guides for your work area and can also provide training on how to respond to emergencies. For more information or assistance please contact EHS at (703) 993-8448 or

Where do I find information on building evacuation procedures?

Consult the Emergency Evacuation Guide, available in the Be Prepared tab at  Evacuation Plans are posted throughout university buildings.  Evacuation Plans provide primary and alternate exit routes, the location of fire alarm pull stations, the location of fire extinguishers, and Automated External Defibrillators (AED) if the building is equipped with AED.

Where do I find information on where to go or what to do during severe weather?

Consult the Tornado and Severe Weather Preparation Guide, available at prepared.  Shelter Area signs identifying locations that can serve as temporary shelters during severe weather have been posted throughout university buildings.  If you would like assistance identifying shelter area and/or desire shelter signs, please contact EHS at (703) 993-8448 or

What do I do if there is an earthquake?

Consult the Earthquake Preparation and Response Guide, available at prepared.  Please consider participating in the Statewide Earthquake Drill held every year in October.  Information about this drill is announced via Mason Alert.

What if I am unable to leave campus during an emergency?

When the university experiences a regional or university-wide emergency or severe weather event, and it is determined that it is not safe for students, faculty and staff to leave campus, instructions will be provided on where to assemble, who to contact for assistance, and what services will remain available for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.  Information and messages regarding emergencies will be sent to you via Mason Alert, (George Mason University’s emergency messaging system at and posted on the university’s homepage

Where can I find information on specific emergencies that may occur at George Mason University?

Information about emergencies that might occur on campus and appropriate response procedures is available online at Sign up for Mason Alert, George Mason University’s emergency messaging system at  You can also look at the university’s homepage,, for information about schedule modification and closings.