How do you become a Supervised User of radiation if you are a graduate student, undergraduate student, or volunteer?

With the help of the Approved User who will be supervising your work, complete a Radiation User Authorization Form as well as a Personal Monitoring Services Form and send the completed form as an email attachment to

In order to become a supervised user, the following requirements must be met:

  • 8-hours of initial Radiation Safety training must be completed. The Radiation Safety Officer will contact you in regards to registering for training once your Radiation User Authorization Form has been received.
  • You must be listed on an approved protocol under an Approved User.

How do you become an Approved User of radiation if you are a Principal Investigator, Laboratory Supervisor, or Course Instructor?

Submit a completed Radiation Registration form along with a Radiation User Authorization Form to The Radiation Registration form should outline the proposed work with radiation and safety and security procedures that will be utilized in the laboratory. Your registration will be reviewed by the Radiation Safety Officer as well as the Radiation Safety Committee (RSC). After successful completion of training and approval of the proposed work by the RSC, you will be authorized to use radiation and to supervise graduate students, undergraduate students, and/or volunteers in their use of radiation.

Does EHS have a survey meter that I can borrow?

Yes, survey meters are available to Approved Users. Approved Users may request a survey meter and arrange to pick one up by contacting EHS. Approved users may also choose to use their own survey meters. Any meter that is used as part of compliance with the radiation safety program must be calibrated annually. EHS can coordinate the calibration, including cost, of any survey meter which is to be used as part of the radiation safety program. To request calibration please contact EHS.

Do I need a radiation badge?

The Radiation Safety Officer issues dosimetry badges to personnel based depending on the work being performed and the materials being used. Complete a Personal Monitoring Services Form and attach to an email sent to