Under desk electrical heaters are not recommended but may be used if the following criteria are met:
- Approved by Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) (this will appear on the manufacture’s label);
- Equipped with an intrinsic tip-over protection feature that automatically shuts off the heater if it is accidentally knocked over;
- All combustible materials (i.e., paper, cloth, cardboard) must be kept at least three feet away from the heater;
- Plugged directly into a wall outlet; extension cords or power strips may not be used in conjunction with a space heater; and
- Unplugged when not in use.