What is required if I want to erect a tent for an event on campus?
Posted: April 3, 2020 at 10:08 am, Last Updated: September 10, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Tents, depending on their size, must undergo a permitting and inspection process. Specific requirements for tents can be found in the Temporary Structure Permit Guide. All permit applications (if required) must be submitted in a timely manner as described in the Temporary Structure Permit Guide. All tents must abide by the following minimum requirements:
- Be placed at least 20 feet from the exterior of surrounding buildings.
- Not block:
- Any means of ingress or egress of other structures;
- Emergency fire lanes; or
- Any equipment that pertains or aids in the suppression of a fire (e.g., fire hydrant, fire department connection, or post indicator valve).
- Open flames or cooking devices may not be used under tents. All cooking appliances or open flames to include grills may not be used within 20 feet of a tent.
- May not be occupied when local winds are forecast or known to be greater than 40 miles per hour.
- All tents are subject to removal by the Event Coordinator, EHS, Facilities Management, or vendor due to severe weather.
- Provide adequate clear paths for egress/exiting.
- Maintain a copy of the Tent Permit (if required) on-site.
- Have original manufacture’s tags attached indicating that the material of the tent is flame retardant (if tent is 400 square feet or greater).
- Tents may only be occupied during daylight, unless code compliant electrical lighting is provided.
- Properly marked and lighted emergency exits (for tents with sidewalls and 900 square feet or greater).
- Additional regulations may be stipulated in the permit issued by the Commonwealth.
Write to Environmental Health & Safety Office at firstname.lastname@example.org