- Provides oversight of recombinant DNA research.
- Ensures research is in compliance with NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules (NIH Guidelines).
- Reviews and approves all research subject to the NIH Guidelines.
- Also reviews all projects that involve:
- Biological materials
- Infectious materials
- Other potentially infectious materials
- Biologically-derived toxins
In order to conduct work with a biological material, an IBC Registration form must be completed. For more information on recombinant DNA, see the Office of Biotechnology Activities Frequently Asked Questions website.