Petroleum and Chemical Spill Response and Remediation

EHS has developed an Integrated Contingency Plan to address emergency response actions in the event of a release or spill of hazardous material. EHS has also prepared the Chemical, Hazardous, and Universal Waste Guide to provide university staff and laboratory personnel with information on how to safely response to spills of material in their work areas.

Reporting a Spill or Release

Contact University Police by dialing 911 from any university phone or dial 703-993-2810, and report the following details:

  • Your name and contact information,
  • The location of the spill and where you are currently located,
  • The approximate quantity of material spilled,
  • The materials involved, if known (e.g.., oil, gasoline, paint, etc.).

University Police will contact EHS to determine the appropriate spill response. Additional resources such as hazardous materials crews or fire and rescue will be contacted as needed. If the spill endangers human health, please evacuate the area or secure the immediate area if it is safe to do so. Proceed to a safe location upwind of the spill and remain in the area until University Police arrive.

Related Documents