How do I dispose of biological waste that is not Regulated Medical Waste (RMW)?
Posted: April 3, 2020 at 9:32 am, Last Updated: April 3, 2020 at 9:33 am
Biological waste that is non-infectious should be autoclaved. If the waste cannot be autoclaved (e.g., mixed with a chemical or is an animal carcass), it should be placed in a burn box for incineration offsite.
- Place waste in a clear autoclave bag
- Run the autoclave cycle.
- Fill in the logbook with date, time, your name, type of material treated, and approximate weight of treated waste.
- Take the waste to the dumpster.
- Burn box
- Tape bottom and side seams of box.
- Line with 2 black bags.
- When 75% full, seal both bags.
- Do not fill more than 40 pounds.
- Close box and tape shut at seams.
- Contact EHS for pickup.
Write to Environmental Health & Safety Office at email@example.com